Friday, March 13, 2009

Day four!


Hello!

We've almost reached the end of our week-long journey. And I have to say I think we've had a pretty great week! We started off the day with a reflection on what we've been doing and how our help can have a direct impact on the kids we're working with. Ed Burns, an Emerson graduate student, came to listen to our discussion. He's writing an article about students who volunteer. I'm happy he was able to come and ask questions. I told him to check out our blogs for more help!

We headed over to the Boys and Girls Club to help out some more with their big road race event that's taking place on Saturday. We painted more signs and left fliers at the houses around the club to inform people about the race. I really hope it's a success! It's too bad we won't be here to see it, but I think we've been able to help them out a lot with the setup.

We spent the afternoon with more kiddos! I think we've each found our little area we're comfortable with. Some like art, some enjoy tutoring, I personally like the games room. I think all of us have gotten to know many of the kids which is so important. I wish we could stay for more than a week. So many of the children just want attention and there isn't a large enough staff to pay full attention to all of them. But I am happy we've at least been able to spend a week with the kids and made a connection with many of them. I hope they one day realize how much we enjoy being there and how important they are to us.

Tomorrow is our last day at BGCB. I think we'll all be sad to see it end but happy to have had such a wonderful week!!

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment